VSA Partners is a design-driven branding and marketing company.
VSA was founded as a design firm more than 30 years ago with the belief that design is not only a craft, but a tool for achieving business objectives. As design thinkers, we approach business challenges holistically and aim to break down silos between branding, digital, marketing and advertising.
VSA's Content Practice provides brand and marketing audiences with meaningful content and communications that solve clients’ business problems. Across multiple forms, media and channels, we unite the art and engineering of content—strategizing, concepting, structuring, creating, adapting, publishing and measuring.
The Director of Writing manages programmatic content work for multiple clients. He/she also manages and directs staff writer(s) or freelance resources.
• Think visually as well as verbally, contributing from the outset to the structure, look and feel of a client project.
• Translate client needs and interact closely with designers to create and refine content for a chosen design direction, identifying alternative message strategies for achieving clients’ objectives.
• Think beyond individual projects and collaborate directly with clients and develop programmatic solutions to content needs.
• Perform effectively at concepting, group brainstorming, writing of placeholder copy, and working both independently and collaboratively.
• Collaborate in the development and definition of the “voice” for a client, a program or individual project.
• Demonstrate use of logic in structuring content, and offer the creative team strategic thinking and knowledge of business and marketing principles.
• Contribute and edit creative or strategic briefs presented to clients.
• Contribute to solutions for sensitive or difficult client issues in conjunction with Engagement Lead and Project Manager.
• 5+ years of experience in communications, business, marketing, advertising or a related field.
• An undergraduate degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Advertising or Integrated/Strategic Communications. Master’s degree preferred.
• Ability to demonstrate a strong vocabulary, expertise in English usage, and comfort with multiple and often complex writing assignments, styles and disciplines.
• Ability to focus on user priorities and needs in structuring content, and to offer the team strategic thinking and knowledge of business, brand and marketing principles.
• Ability to articulate and effective in presenting and explaining writing choices.
• Ability to achieve rapid realization of deliverables and outcomes, with strength in observing and managing to deadlines.
• Ability to interact at all levels of the company and with external parties in a professional manner maintaining effective communication, both written and spoken.
• Skills in complex problem solving, judgment, critical thinking and decision-making.
• Ability to be versatile and handle multiple projects and re-prioritizations.
• Ability to organize information, prioritize, have attention to detail, and accurately follow procedures.
• Ability to maintain self-motivation and to work independently in team environments.